Sponsored links

2008-04-20

Labour day in Italy

I've just received this email:

Hi! We're two Belgians just about to visit Florence for the first time & very much looking forward to it!! For some reason I keep ending up on your blog pages :-) and I must say I find them very interesting! But there is a subject I am so anxious to hear about that I'll just write you to see if you will do a blog on it as well, and when it may appear: The first of May we have Labour day coinciding with Ascension day!! To believe all info I find on the internet, everything is closed and the city is as dead on this day. (?) I'm not buying this however :-) There must be some feasting and/or events and/or processions or something that must be well known to anyone within Florence except the silly tourists ;-) There must be something going on on a festive day like that? So I'm holding my breath for your blog on this :-) so we may perhaps join in the fun!! Greetz, Saskia & Peter

First of all, thanks for writing to me. Well.. I have to say that also in Italy we do have Labour day on the 1st of May and.. everthing is closed! As you say: the city is dead!
I'm sorry. In Florence even the public bus transportation (ATAF) doesn't work on the first of May.
I don't know if there are any events or celebrations on that day. Normally florentine go to the seaside during the spring break (we have a long holiday from 25th of April until the 4th of May). But you can enjoy the city, the exhibitions, (museums are often closed), the gardens.
You can visit:
- the China exhibition at Palazzo Strozzi.
ART the International Handicraft fair at Fortezza da Basso. A shop-window of innovating ideas and projects for professionals working in this field, and for consumers, whose tastes and needs are continuously changing. It's a trade show, with over 700 exhibitors. From April 25 till 4 May, 2008 at Fortezza da Basso. Access: open to public, tickets are sold at the entrance. Admission ticket € 5.00. Timing: 10.00 - 23.00 More info>>

- the Fattori exhibition

Not far from Fattori show (check if it's open) you can admire the beautiful panorama of Florence from Forte Belvedere.

4 comments:

nellifirenze said...

I' ve just discovered that on the 1st of May there will be a big flea market at Cascine Park. Prices are soft.

Unknown said...

OH DEAR. I am so disappointed, because I'll be going to Florence for 1 night on the 1st of May.

I just want to go to the outlet mall, do you think it'll be open on the next day?

Cheers!

nellifirenze said...

I've just called the Barberino Outlet: they told me they are open on the 25th of April and they are closed on the 1st of May.
on the other days normal opening hourse.

ciao :)

Unknown said...

THANK YOU! :)

Link sponsorizzati